Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A Quote for You To Guess

It's been a while, so just a reminder that the one rule is no Googling the quote.
[I]f, by the author of sin [emphasis is the author's], is meant the permitter, or not a hinderer of sin, and, at the same time, a disposer of the state of events, in such a manner, for wise, holy, and most excellent ends and purposes, that sin, if it be permitted, or not hindered, will most certainly and infallibly follow; I say, if this be all that is meant by being the author of sin, I do not deny that God is the author of sin (though I dislike and reject the phrase, as that which by use and custom is apt to carry another sense), it is no reproach for the Most High to be thus the author of sin. This is not to be the actor of sin, but on the contrary, of holiness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If that's not Edwards, then it is a contemporary.

Ben said...

Why do I even bother anymore? You guys are too good. Unk, 15 minutes has to be a world record. Where should I send your award copy of the TNIV?

Anonymous said...

lol,
Send it to

15 Google Desktop
My Computer at Work
USA

Ben said...

I'll need a Zip code for that address.

Andy Efting said...

That one was too easy. Anyone who has read Edwards would immediately recognize the style and vocabulary.

Ben said...

I feel like such a failure

Dave Marriott said...

its not you that should feel like a failure ben...its edwards. he's the one that just took a full paragraph to justify his dispelling a verse completely out of his personal biblical framework.