Thursday, December 22, 2005

"Can We Live Without God?": A Prime-Time Special Worth Watching?

I caught a brief promo this morning of a Fox News special that will air Christmas night at 9:00 ET. Titled, "Can We Live Without God," the special is hosted by morning news update anchor Lauren Green. The promo showed clips of Green interviewing an atheist and Ravi Zacharias. A year ago I would have been confident that Zacharias would be more loyal to his convictions than Ted Haggard. Anymore, I don't hold my breath.

What makes this worth watching to me, though, is not the guests, but the host. As Green chatted with the other morning hosts about the special, she commented that the conclusion is inescapable that both the theist and the atheist positions demand faith. I found that comment pleasantly surprising and insightful coming from a news anchor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think she meant by faith? It doesn't seem to be a very pleasant thing at all that she would say that theism is just as dubitable as atheism. Theism is inescapably clear; atheism is blithering idiocy.

Ben said...

It was an abbreviated discussion, so I'm not reading too much into it. I took it simply as Green's observation that both the theist and the atheist believe in things they cannot see. Everyone says this about the theists, but many are deluded into thinking that atheism is more scientific because it is alleged (incorrectly) to rely merely on what is observable.

Or to put it another way, Green sounded like a presuppositionalist. But that's really reading too much into the brief comments.

John R. said...

What have you seen that makes you less confident in Ravi Z.?

Just curious.

JRush

Ben said...

Thanks, anoninva. Zacharias' appearance at the Mormon tabernacle was what I had in mind. I hadn't read the whole story, but what I had heard was enough to make raise a red flag.

I will concur with your thoughts on MacArthur. Maybe you all can help me out. Are there ANY other evangelicals besides him who appear fairly frequently on these types of programs who give a consistent, clear defense of the gospel? Bob Jones III and Al Mohler are the only others that enter my mind, but their appearances seem less frequent.

John R. said...

Thanks for the responses.

I'll look at the url you mentioned.

Wow.

JRush