Monday, July 04, 2005

On the "Young Southern Baptists"

LifeWay President discusses them at the Convention. Some baby, some bathwater.
“The SBC needs to be able to write on a napkin what its message is,” he said. “Unfortunately we are more known for what we are against than what we are for. I don’t want to have to apologize or think twice before telling someone I’m a Southern Baptist. I don’t want to worry about how they’ll respond or take something I say.”

Harris’ comments came near the end of the two-hour rally hosted by Draper and attended by more than 400 people. Draper introduced the need to involve younger leaders in the denomination at last year’s SBC annual meeting in Indianapolis. He followed his convention address with a series of columns challenging Southern Baptist leaders to “make a place at the table” for younger leaders. He’s spent the past six months visiting nearly a dozen locations around the country for dialogue sessions with younger leaders.
Apparently independent Baptists are not the only folks who have a deep psychological (i.e. fleshly) craving to feel like part of a "movement."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello paleo

I have seen some other comments to this effect. It is one of the reasons I don't worry much about the angst and criticism coming from some of the younger set. I think the problem is the spirit of this age, not really with fundamentalism itself.

Regards,
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I could be way out in left field (comes with being on this coast), but are you sure about a. your glib assessment that both the SB's and the IB's earnestly want to be part of a "movement" and b. that desire is driven by the flesh?

I'm sure that's possible, but let's say people actually believed in the universal church. Let's say people believed that church was the pillar and ground of the truth, and they cared about the truth. They loved others who loved the truth and emphasized a common Gospel. Wouldn't that look a lot like a "movement," and a desire to see others be a part of Truth and Gospel look like a desire to have a "movement?"

In short, can "movement" also equal genuine Christianity? The true Church?

As for fundamentalism, yea, I don't think there are problems with it either. It's just the people that mess it all up.

Ben said...

"Can 'movement' also equal genuine Christianity? The true Church?"

For some, yes. For those being discussed in this article, no. I don't think the "seat at the table" they're talking about is the marriage supper of the lamb.

Ben said...

Don,

I don't think this has anything to do with "the younger set" you allude to. I certainly didn't mean to suggest that. This movement mentality has been around for a long time, and I certaintly don't believe this sentiment is more popular among younger generations. Perhaps it manifests itself in different ways.

Anonymous said...

Hi Paleo

I see that you weren't making the same connection in the article that I was. Perhaps I missed the point.

I read your original post again and realized that you were going elsewhere with it, although I did see some similarities to other things I have been thinking about.

Anyway, carry on!! I enjoy reading your blog, it keeps the grey cells working. One thing that I miss from seminary is the stimulating discussions in the Snack Shop. I always thought Snack Shop Theology to be one of the best classes on campus!! Blogs have become something of a substitute.

Regards,
Don Johnson
Jer 33.3