Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Game

Just for fun, I offer a challenge. Who said this? (No fair googling.)
This is symptomatic of larger shifts in evangelicalism which leave many of us wondering where we belong. Old alliances that I once regarded as defining my theological existence have changed, and I don't feel at home any more. On the other hand, I feel at home in an increasingly wide and diverse fellowship that has little to do with denominational boundaries. The boundaries are being drawn or erased in places where some seem too narrow and others too broad. Uncomfortably I find myself wanting to say to some: "Too broad!" And to others: "Too narrow!" . . . My sense is that there must be a narrowing and a broadening of doctrinal commitments for advancement of what is so precious among many of us who are deeply sympathetic to doctrinal faithfulness and purity.
Should no one comment, I'll gladly take the hint and put this feature to a quick death. Perhaps a self-interview would be more interesting.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doran.

Anonymous said...

McCheyne

Ben said...

No and no.

The quote is from 2003.

Anonymous said...

Piper

Matt Mitchell said...

Yep, it was Piper. He was talking about the Bethlehem conference for pastors.

Ben said...

Congrats, Paul. Here is the full statement.

I'll send you a free "You Might Be a Paleoevangelical If . . ." t-shirt as soon as I have them printed.

Anonymous said...

Yessssssss. I am pumped Paleo and can't wait for the T. This game is cool. My next guess was Bob Jones III.

Ben said...

Did the date give it away, Paul? You being in the Cities and all, I wondered if your proximity to the conference made it a tip-off.

Anonymous said...

cafepress.com will let you design your t-shirt and people can buy them off your website...but you probably already knew that.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the smoke wafting from the Pipe(r) just a few blocks from were I currently sit had an effect.

I only was able to catch one session at the 2003 BCP conference; I did not make the connection between the year you cited and the conf. theme. No unfair advantage here! I guess I just have skillz. It sounded distinctly Piper.

Please try to make the next one a little more challenging.