Tuesday, August 19, 2008

One Hundred Sixty-Five Years Ago Today . . .

. . . C.I. Scofield was born!!!

I have to admit that Scofield's Wikepedia entry opened up a whole world of surprising biographical information on the man that I'd never encountered before. You know, the kind of information that would prompt a KJVO'er to attack a "New Age PerVersion." Go figure. And if it's on Wikipedia, it must be true, right?

And as long as we're talking Scofield, I have a couple questions for the folks out there. If you're a dispensationalist, I'm assuming that the "day of the Lord" in 1 Thessalonians 5:2 is something of an umbrella term referring to the last days in general--from the Rapture to the Second Coming. Correct?

And if you're an amillennialist and you believe Christ could return at any moment, how do you sustain that conviction in light of 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4, where the man of lawlessness is revealed prior to the return of Christ?

3 comments:

P.D. Nelson said...

While I am not a dispensationalist nor an amillennialist I do believe Dr. Kim Riddlebarger has an excellent answer to your question here: http://links.christreformed.org/real/20071005a.m3u

Anonymous said...

Many Dispys, like myself, hold that the Day of the Lord not only includes the Rapture but the Tribulation Period, Second Coming, and Millennial Kingdom.

tjp

Ben said...

Thanks TJP. I didn't mean to exclude the Millennium from what's under the umbrella

And thanks P.D.

I was just discussing Riddlebarger's take on Thessalonians this past Sunday with a friend who'd read him. But he couldn't remember the specifics on that point.