Friday, October 19, 2007

This Topsy-Turvy Ecclesio-Political World

Some have raised questions as to the timing of the BJU community endorsements of Mitt Romney. I felt stupid this morning when it occurred to me that it was perfectly timed to influence this weekend's Values Voters' Summit in DC.

Meanwhile, as fundamentalists endorse Romney, Southern Baptists excoriate him. The newly installed pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas is either persuading his congregation that they don't want Romney or they don't want a Christian in the Oval Office. SBC President Frank Page is skirting anything approaching an endorsement, and apparently prefers to witness to the candidates. And of course, Joel Osteen loves everybody:
I don't think [Romney's Mormon faith] would affect me," Mr. Osteen said. "I've heard him say that he believes Jesus is his savior, just like I do. I've studied it deeply, and maybe people don't agree with me, but I like to look at a person's value and what they stand for.
Finally, a Wall Street Journal opinion piece takes the measure of the new "cosmopolitan evangelicalism," the odd cocktail created by the entrée of the faith community to the halls of power.

No comments: