Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I Think This One's for Us, Greg

Here's the President's proclamation, released today (lightly edited, for space . . . of course)
For Immediate Release December 12, 2007

Wright Brothers Day, 2007

- - - - - - -

by the President of the United States of America

a proclamation . . .

On Wright Brothers Day, we remember the achievement of two young brothers . . . whose persistence, skill, ingenuity, and daring revolutionized the world.
. . .

The Congress, by a joint resolution . . . as amended (77 Stat. 402; 36 U.S.C. 143), has designated December 17 of each year as "Wright Brothers Day" and has authorized and requested the President to issue annually a proclamation inviting the people of the United States to observe that day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim December 17, 2007, as Wright Brothers Day.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
eleventh day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand seven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-second.

GEORGE W. BUSH
And to top it all off, here's a photo of the swearing-in of the brand new Hizzoner of Columbus Grove, Ohio—the write-in candidate with a mandate. Not a bad day for people named Wright, I'd say.

14 comments:

Kris Coffee said...

Very Clever. And congratulations on being "wright."

Bruce said...

From a guy who's only half-Wright:
As this upcoming December 17 will be the very first Wright Brothers Day, could you help us all by offering some suggestions on "appropriate ceremonies and activities"?

Greg said...

We are pretty persistent, ingenuitive, skillful, and daring, aren't we...

Greg said...

You could wear a "I just turned down the Michigan job" t-shirt.

Ben said...

Or better yet, you could send one to me as a gift.

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute.

Is this the Greg that pastors in St. George, Utah at the bottom of the I-15 corridor?

Coach C said...

No, this is the Greg who once biffed three open goal opportunities in one alumni scrimmage.

Sorry, Greg. too much "wright stuff" for one day.

Ben said...

Dude, Caucutt. That's totally not in the spirit of the occasion.

You're banned from posting for the rest of the year unless you apologize

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I have such a slow wit that I couldn't resist such a low, hanging curve.

How's that for a Belichick apology?

Coach C said...

or should I say, "couldn't resist such a wide open net"

Ben said...

yeah, you're still banned

Greg said...

Caucutt, man, that's harsh. At the time, I was used to going up against high schoolers in soccer practice. In my first real game in 5 years, the goalie suddenly looked really big and the goal really small. I'd like to say I'll get my revenge, but I'm not sure I ever will. I'm well past my peak.

P.S. Isn't "low hanging curve" an oxymoron?

Anonymous said...

a low hanging curve is worse than and high hanging curve

by the way, I am no longer a college coach. ..

Anonymous said...

What i meant to say was,

"It is easier to hit a low, hanging curve ball than to hit a high, hanging curve ball."