But eventually I realized thad I'd been beaten to the punch. It had occurred to me that there's a sort of person who attends an academic institution foreign to his circle of fellowship, all the while:
- Knowing what he himself believes.
- Knowing what the academic institutions he attends stands for.
- Knowing that he believes that institution and its professors exist in a persistent state of compromise and disobedience to Scripture.
- Intending to learn something from these disobedient compromisers.
- Intending to use the education and academic imprimatur acquired from the compromised institution to advance his own institution and career.
- Fully intending to excoriate the institution he attended throughout the rest of his career, once his credentials are signed and delivered.
Now, I wonder, what adjectives might we apply to that sort of scheme?
Respectable? Shrewd? Savvy? Ironic? Disingenuous? Reprehensible? Doomed?